History of Mount Huangshan

Mount Huangshan was formed approximately 100 million years ago and gained its unique rock formations in the Quaternary Glaciation.

During the Qin Dynasty (221 BC - 207 BC), Mt. Huangshan was known as Yishan (Mount Yi). 

In 747 AD, its name was changed to Huangshan (Mount Huang) by imperial decree; the name is commonly thought to have been coined in honor of Huang Di (the Yellow Emperor), a legendary Chinese emperor, and the mythological ancestor of the Han Chinese. One legend states that Huangshan was the location from which the Yellow Emperor ascended to Heaven. Another legend states that the Yellow Emperor “cultivated moral character and refined Pills of Immortality in the mountains, and in so doing gave the mountains his name. The first use of this name "Huangshan" often is attributed to Chinese poet Li Bai. Huangshan was fairly inaccessible and little-known in ancient times, but its change of name in 747 AD seems to have brought the area more attention; from then on, the area was visited frequently and many temples were built there.

Mt. Huangshan is known for its stone steps, carved into the side of the mountain, of which there may be more than 60,000 throughout the area. The date at which work on the steps began is unknown, but they have been said to be more than 1,500 years old.

In 1606, a Buddhist monk, Pumen built the Fahai Buddha Hall in Mount Huangshan. Some years later, the Ming Dynasty (1368 - 1644) emperor ordered Pumen to extend the hall and rename it Defending Country Mercy Light Temple. Not long after that, Pumen and some people from She county hacked their away at the undergrowth to make some paths to connect the four temples (Cuiwei Temple, Xianfu Temple, Mercy Light Temple, Zhibo Temple). Afterwards, many monks flock to Mt. Huangshan to meditate and draw pictures of the mountain. They built a lot of houses and thatched cottages.

During the early Qing Dynasty (1636 -1912),the houses and temples were under protection of the government, but at the late Qing Dyansty, many houses and some temples were destoryed for no protection and few pilgrims. 

Over the years, many scenic spots and physical features on the mountain have been named; many of the names have narratives behind them. For example, one legend tells of a man who did not believe the tales of Huangshan's beauty and went to the mountains to see them; almost immediately, he was converted to the same view. One of the peaks he is said to have visited was named Shixin Peak, roughly meaning "Beginning-to-Believe Peak."

In 1932, the governmont of Republic of China set up the Construction Commission of Huangshan. In 1934, the road from Tangkou Town to Xiaoyao Pavilion and the steps from Yungu Temple to North Sea Scenic Area were built by the commission. In 1942, the government of ROC set up Huangshan Administration Bureau and had it attached to the government of Anhui province. 

On 27th April, 1949, PLA liberated Huangshan City. The new government took over Mount Huangshan. 

In 1956, many paths in Huangshan Mountain were overhauled and the road from Xiaoyao Pavilion to the Spring Scenic Area were built by the governement. At the same time, Guanpu Builing, Huangshan Hotel, Spring Swimming Pool, and Yihai Building were built and opened to the public in this year. 

In 1958, Beihai Hotel, New Spring Building, Lianyu Pavilion and Guanyu Pavilion were built in the mountain. 

In Oct, 1979, Huangshan Aministration of Anhui Province was set up.

In 1982, Mt. Huangshan was declared a "site of scenic beauty and historic interest" by the State Council of the People's Republic of China. It was named a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1990 for its scenery and for its role as a habitat for rare and threatened species.

In 2002, Mt. Huangshan was named the "sister mountain" of Jungfrau in the Swiss Alps.

Huangshan Mountain Narrow Cliff

Fairy Walking Bridge - Mt. Huangshan

Cloud Dispelling Pavilion in the Yellow Mountain